Not interested! I bet you hear that a lot! Well, today I am going to be breaking down into details about why this is happening to you. Why it is you are getting this type of response from customers. But first I want you to know how I felt when I first started in this industry.
I am not going to lie to you. I had my own speculations about knocking on doors and if it was actually considered a profession or not. At a very young age, I wanted to become wealthy and I had heard door knocking when mastered can, in fact, provide you with a high income. Now, I want to eliminate the negative stereotype that exists today with wealthy individuals and that is that they are greedy and selfish. This is not true. I for one enjoy teaching and spend my wealth on helping others while taking care of my family as well. Being wealthy and successful opens doors to bringing more to the world and to the community. How you get there is by getting past that not interested and learning the process for mastering door to door sales.
This job requires you to develop your skills mentally and when you do that it will also take you to a higher level of success in your personal life. I view myself as an individual with average intelligence but I can attest to the fact that I am not a quitter and this is what has held me up during my struggles and has pushed me forward to where I am today. Never quitting is the number one attribute in life that you need in order to become successful with anything that it is you do. You see, I understand where you are at and how you are feeling at this point. I am sure most of you who have been receiving the constant “I am not interested” feel that you need some kind of miracle or magic to change things around. I have been there and it broke me so bad that I was at tears at want point. I want to let you know it’s not going to be like that forever. With the right resources and mentoring you can surpass this stage.
I am going to teach you how to sell ethically and how to overcome those “I am not interested” customers that you may get. All this really entails are you understanding your mindset, the customer’s mindset and why it is they are rejecting you and just how to overcome it. Do you really believe that the customer is really not interested in what you have to offer? The answer to this is that they are not interested, they are just not interested yet. It is our job and our duty to get the customer’s interested in our product! Now let me ask you this, what goes on through your minds when someone knocks on your door? I will tell you the majority of people out there think sales guy. And most people try and get rid of whoever is at the door. This is a problem! It is an issue when people tell you they are not interested in your product! How you overcome and fix this problem will determine how much of success you will have moving forward in this profession. Now, a lot of people struggle with building what I like to call likability. They are awkward, they struggle with communication and need to learn how to be more presentable. Accept it and do something about it if you feel people are not accepting you or liking you at the door. No matter what you want to accomplish you need to understand the problem and overcome it.
In this case, we are focussing on home automation and home security. How well do you know your features? How well are you in timing you presentation or in presenting the product? Your features, all of them are your ammunition! What good is your ammunition if you do not know how to use it? Hence, what good is the feature if you do not know or understand its benefits for the customer?! You need to learn how someone can actually benefit from the features that you have for your product. This you will learn more about later on. Now I want to revert back to the “I’m not interested” and just how to approach that, how to switch a customer’s around from not being interested in being interested.
I want to make a very important point and that is that door knocking is not dead! The old ways of selling door to door are dead, but door knocking is not dead! In home automation and security, we are trying to solve a problem. The problem being intrusions, robberies…most individuals have these concerns. People like to be in control of what is going on in their homes and prevent situations from arising that are dangerous. I also want to point out that I have had the opportunity to shadow individuals who sell unethically. I am stressing long and hard that I will never be like them. I will never sell like them because at the end they will most likely end up in jail. This is how to approach door knocking ethically;
- Always agree: You do not want to approach the situation as a sales rep versus customer. You want to approach it as a friend versus friend. We want to be ethical, we want to be there friend.
- Create Curiosity: Don’t ramble on about the product listing every detail. Spare a moment for some questions and answers, some engagement between you and the customer to create that curiosity. Everyone wants an answer about what they do not know. Example if you are talking about features and benefits the customer will want to know details about that.
- Do a powerful presentation: Once you are allowed and invited into the property, into the home do a powerful presentation of your product and how it will benefit the home. Point out features that could b placed in specific areas and how they will impact their overall purchase.
You must have belief in yourself. If you do get rejected at the door, do NOT and I repeat do NOT let it hinder your next sales experience. Brush it off and move forward to the next window of opportunity. Your goal at the end of the day is not to just sell what you have to offer but to see if the product is something the customer can actually benefit from. Let the product/system (security system) sell the product!
How certain are you that this career will take you to that next place, that next level of where you want to be?! For myself, I felt that I would reach a level ten and that I was going to be extremely successful at this profession. So, I put in my all to achieve this level of success. The amount of potential you put into the profession will, in turn, give you the results needed to succeed. 6.6 million people are getting security systems in Canada. You have to do your research, use all your resources to put in the maximum potential. The average person who does not do this, their belief drops as they knock on doors and find that no one is home or they are getting rejected. They begin to use less of their potential! Simply because they did not set their belief at an all-time high. If you want to get one sale a day, then focus on your belief system!
- Stop getting frustrated with yourself! You know there is a solution you’re just not there yet!
- Build strength! Your belief system went down, bring it up to a ten.
- Have a goal! How many accounts are you going to get in a day, a week, a month?
- In the beginning, sacrifice! Make sacrifices! I slept on a blow-up mattress at the beginning of my career!
- Go after it! Develop yourself every single day! Go for the top!
- Ask for help! Successful people always ask for help!
- Track your progress! You need to track so you can increase your goal and level of success. Focussing on your percentage change! You will know its working and can get the proper education to move to that next level.
- Never thank someone for rejecting you!
- Do not sound like a salesperson!
- Build a friendship!
- Sell yourself!
- Sell Ethically!
- Bring the product to life! List the benefits of the product!
Thank you so much for your time! Don’t forget to leave a comment and to knock with passion! Until